The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 30,000 volunteers and more than 1 million donors.
This position is responsible for actively participating and assisting in the development and implementation of health promotion and research initiatives and events, the delivery of health information, volunteer recruitment and relationship building with strategic partners (e.g. government, support providers, and schools). The Coordinator builds relationships with Indigenous schools, Alberta health institutes, and collaborates with colleagues across the country to achieve Heart & Stroke mission priorities.
How you will make an impact everyday
Health Education and Promotion
- Builds awareness of H&S health resources and programs such as Heart Smart Kids to meet targets.
- Provides strategic recommendations to the Director, Mission and Senior Specialist, Government Relations regarding evolving needs and trends.
- In collaboration with the Mission and Development team, participates in planning health education and promotion activities.
- Participates on national Mission working groups.
- Liaises with other organizations, groups and individuals as appropriate in consultation with the Director to further the mission of the Foundation.
- Actively participates in the successful implementation of all health promotion and health education initiatives including Research to Life.
- Provides health presentations to groups as selected according to established criteria in consultation with the Development team and Mission Director.
Administrative, Volunteer, and Resource Coordination
- Liaises with a diverse group of provincial stakeholders (i.e Libin Cardiovascular Institute, University of Calgary) and other organizations as necessary to acquire information and share resources.
- Provides advice and assistance to the public to navigate provincial health resources and match their needs with H&S resources.
- Assists Administrator, Government Relations, and Research areas as needed.
- Recruits, trains, schedules, supervises and mentors Mission volunteers.
- Recommends and develops new opportunities to keep volunteers engaged with the Foundation.
- Coordinates volunteer participation and regularly assesses and recognizes the performance of volunteers.
- As requested conducts environmental scans.
- Explores new opportunities for collaboration with research institutes and other funding organizations.
- Organizes and facilitates Volunteer Advisory Committees.
- Plans and facilitates the research ambassador program.
- Collaborates with the Research To Life planning team.
- Supports cardiac and stroke systems change work, where appropriate
What you bring
- College Diploma or Undergraduate Degree in a health-related field
- 2-3 years of experience in a health policy/promotion related field.
- Informed and up to date on health promotion practice and research, including on community engagement, community development, capacity building and chronic disease prevention
- Experience providing administrative support, data management
- Experience giving public presentations
- Experience in volunteer and/or event management/planning ideal
- Demonstrates working knowledge of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular health and disease conditions and health promotion
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the Alberta scientific research community
- Establishes relevant networks and facilitates stakeholder engagement, teamwork, collaboration and partnership with diverse teams and a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal including public speaking
- A high degree of independence, creativity, initiative and accountability, anticipating and responding to individual and program needs
- Experience in synthesis of reports, trends and analysis
- Excellent computer skills (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Sharepoint, Outlook)
- A valid driver’s license is required since travel and some evening and weekend work is required