The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 30,000 volunteers and more than 1 million donors.
The Major Gifts Development Officer will work with the Development team to achieve the highest priority needs of the Foundation while managing a portfolio of individual prospects, organizations, and foundations. They are an integral part of the team and responsible for identification and solicitation of gifts (starting at $5,000 plus level) as well as cultivation and stewardship. In partnership with the Vice President, Development for Western Canada the role will execute the established strategies to increase revenue in the Major Gifts portfolio which contributes to the overall fundraising goals of the organization.
Responsibilities include developing and implementing comprehensive plans for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding prospects and donors. Responsible for developing and managing a portfolio of approximately 125 accounts, with a revenue goal of $500K per year.
- Prospect and Donor Management
- Create personalized prospecting plans for assigned prospects/donors (100-125)
- Work collaboratively on the research and identification of new prospects, as well on the process of prospect management and clearance
- Proactively research, solicit staff/volunteer for referrals within their networks, enhance the existing pipeline and develop new relationships with potential major donors.
- Actively manage an assigned portfolio with an expectation of 5+ face to face strategic contacts per month.
- Utilize effective systems for tracking and cultivating donors, and prospect donors through CRM
- Gift Solicitation and Stewardship
- Submit a minimum of 10 major gift proposals per year
- Collaborate closely with strategic writers to develop and deliver high quality, highly customized proposals
- Finalize gift terms and bring solicitations to closure with or independent of volunteer leadership, as appropriate
- Deliver prompt, personal and meaningful gift acknowledgment correspondence.
- Ensure appropriate donor recognition, acknowledgement, and stewardship activities are implemented with the goal of repeat gifts
- Delivery on Annual Revenue
- Provide input into the development of the annual business plan and budget for the team and monthly review of progress against plan
- Create and monitor personal business plan and budget, and suggest modifications, when necessary, in order to meet personal targets.
CFRE certification and involvement in a professional association is an asset
Experience and Skills
- 5 years fund development, major gifts or campaign experience
- Demonstrated experience of independently closing individual major gifts of $25,000+
- Experience working in a results-oriented institution with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Experience participating in an integrated moves management and prospect clearance process
- Strong verbal, communication and writing skills, along with polished presentation skills
- Strong understanding of charity sector and not-for-profit organizations.
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of people and build strong relationships
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Consistently demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism, confidentiality, integrity, and sensitivity
- Demonstrated initiative and confidence in making first contact calls, to promote partnerships at every opportunity.
- Able to seek out opportunities and anticipate challenges and identify strategies for successful implementation.
- Driver’s license and use of reliable vehicle required