Heart & Stroke is a special type of organization. We’re a foundation, a place that values championing health and has a bias for action as we tackle heart disease, stroke and vascular cognitive impairment. Our mission is to promote health, save lives and enhance recovery. We do so by raising funds to support critical research, and by helping people reduce their risk of heart disease, stroke and vascular cognitive impairment through risk factor awareness, promoting healthy lifestyles and advocating for healthy public policy. Six core values unite us: Champion Health, Practice Humility, Embrace Change, Drive Impact, Learn & Grow and Be Heartfelt.
Who we need
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Government Relations and Public Engagement, we need a Specialist, Government Relations and Public Engagement. Based in Ottawa, this is a support role for someone who wants to help make a difference in the lives of Canadians at a national level. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to be part of a movement that engages Canadians across the country; someone who can proactively approach and secure meetings with government officials as well as research and coordinate supporting documents. This is an opportunity to work with parliamentarians, Senators, and other government officials to help develop common advocacy positions that further Heart and Stroke’s strategic objectives.
Who you are
You want to play an important role in advancing change within our health systems, through advocacy and strategic government-level conversations. You understand how government relations work at the federal level. You have worked on the Hill with MPs and/or worked on political campaigns and want to make the move to government relations. You can research issues, generate ideas, develop strategies, and have a deep understanding of the time and dedication involved with converting a concept into a policy.
How you will make an impact every day. You will focus on:
- Supporting the implementation and rollout of national advocacy campaigns. You will:
- Provide support to the Senior Manager, Government Relations and Public Engagement with the implementation and execution of national advocacy campaigns
- Research issues for advocacy campaigns and write short briefing notes, letters, and other communications
- Secure, coordinate, and participate in meetings with officials on Parliament Hill and in-riding
- Maintain and update Heart & Stroke’s advocacy meeting log, federal lobby registry, and MP/Senator database
- Monitor issue specific media, parliamentary proceedings, and Hansard as necessary
- Developing and implementing the digital component of the Foundation’s public engagement efforts. You will:
- Manage public engagement activities to advance Heart and Stroke’s advocacy objectives with oversight from the Senior Manager, Government Relations and Public Engagement
- Work with provincial mission leads on provincial advocacy efforts and provide advice and support to their public engagement strategies
What you bring
- The education and experience. You have a degree in political science, public policy, public administration and/or 3-5 years experience in government or stakeholder relations. Experience in the non-profit sector is preferable
- The political exposure. You have worked in a political office or on election campaigns. You have a virtual address book of federal political contacts and a strong understanding of the parliamentary process
- The communication and relationship skills. You have written and verbal communication skills that demonstrates professionalism and diplomacy. You have previous work experience liaising with clients and the public
- The technical skills. You are comfortable with MS Office, SharePoint, a CRM and workflow tools to support and advance the work of the team
- The analytical skills. You have solid attention to detail and proofreading skills
- The technical skills. You are comfortable with MS Office, SharePoint, CRM, and other workflow tools to support and advance the work of the team. You also have knowledge of public engagement digital tools, such as New/Mode, Survey Monkey, and MailChimp