Heart & Stroke is a special type of organization. We’re a foundation, a place that values championing health and has a bias for action as we tackle heart disease, stroke and vascular cognitive impairment. Our mission is to promote health, save lives and enhance recovery.
Who we need
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Public Affairs we need a Coordinator, Public Affairs. Based in Toronto, this is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to be part of a movement that engages Canadians across the country; someone who wants to play a role in enhancing the mission of the Foundation. It’s a chance to work with staff of elected officials, vendors, and volunteers to help further Heart and Stroke’s strategic objectives.
Who you are
You are passionate about helping others and you want to play an role in advancing change within our health systems through ensuring the efficient, timely, and professional functioning of the Public Affairs team. You are a quick learner, organized, collaborative, and have a understanding of health policy.
How you will make an impact every day. You will focus on:
- Providing overall administrative support and coordination of the Public Affairs team
- Support administration of government relations efforts, including maintaining contact lists, tracking meetings, and maintaining lobbyist information
- Coordinate meetings and webinars with internal workgroups and committees, external stakeholders, government officials, and H&S constituents
- Help to coordinate events, including Lobby Day, Restart a Heart events, external consultations and other events
- Support execution of advocacy and health promotion campaigns, including working with internal and external partners
- Support research efforts on policy issues connected to Heart & Stroke advocacy priorities as required
What you bring
- The education and experience. You have a degree in Public Health, Public Policy, and/or Public Administration and 2+ years’ experience providing administrative support in an office environment.
- The exposure. You have demonstrated experience in public affairs and government relations combined with a general understanding of health policy.
- The communication and relationship skills. You have excellent written and verbal communication skills that demonstrates professionalism. You have previous experience strengthening stakeholder relations.
- The technical skills. You are comfortable with MS Office, SharePoint, and CRM software to support and advance the work of the team. You also have knowledge of public engagement digital tools, such as MailChimp.
- The analytical skills. You are a quick learner with solid project management skills and the ability to multitask effectively.